Monday, July 13, 2015

The Basic Suite

The Basic Suite of software is used worldwide in schools, home and places of business. In this post I will describe each piece of software and it’s relative advantage to a teacher and his/her students.

Word Processing
“No other technology resource has had as great an impact on education as word processing” (Roblyer, 2016). During the school year, teachers use a word processing tool to create worksheets; assessments, newsletters, permission slips and the list could go on and on. This software is so versatile that most teachers can use it without any training. Finding the details and shortcuts may need instruction but to create a word document, most educators can do on their own. Students can also use this tool to create written works, poetry, reports, etc. “In addition, many of them will need word processing skills later in life when they enter the work place” (Comat, 2011). Students love technology, but many forget that they will grow up and need to use these tools in the workplace.
Relative Advantage
Work processing saves time but letting teachers modify materials instead of creating new ones (Roblyer, 2016). Teachers don’t have enough free time, and what little time they do, they don’t need to be reinventing the wheel! Materials created on a word processing tool look much more professional than something that you would hand write or type on a typewriter. Being able to quickly erase mistakes or rewrite sentences without erasing or white out creates a much nicer product. This type of software is also very beneficial to students who have difficultly writing. Many students lack the fine motor skills that allow them to write legibly. This tool can assist these students in creating the same product as their peers, just by using software.

Spreadsheets
A spreadsheet is information stored in rows and columns. Each box is called a cell and can contain words, numbers, formulas and calculations (Roblyer, 2016). Spreadsheets are a helpful way to organize information. Grading, schedules, lesson plans and attendance are just a few ways teachers can use this tool in the classroom. Spreadsheets can also make dull math a little more exciting. Having students create spreadsheets using formulas or information they are given, gives math a little more spark. Students using spreadsheets is not as common as word processing tools. Using spreadsheet models forces students to get involved and engaged in the topic.  As stated in Pedagogy in Action (2012) “Research has suggested that students learn more when they are engaged with research, and that creative use of technology can support this process.” If students have to do the work and they enjoy how they are doing the work, the information is more likely to settle in their working memories.
Relative Advantage
The advantage for teachers using this tool is saving time. Using the calculations tool in spreadsheets saves teachers massive amounts of time doing their grade book. It can also be an advantage when you need to show data on a specific student. By creating a chart with spreadsheets you can show if the intervention that is in place is working, or if something needs to change. It can be presented in a professional manner and the teacher won’t have to use their extra free time to create it. Students can benefit from this tool in creating their own grade book. Students in upper grades could create a spreadsheet in their class and track their own grades and progress. I remember keeping track of my grades with paper and pencil. If I wanted to know my grade I had to bring a calculator out and punch the numbers. Using a spreadsheet, students can enter equations for cell relationships and calculate their grades instantly.

Presentation Software
This tool is designed to display information and graphics. This tool replaces the old slide projector businesses and schools used to use to present information (Roblyer, 2016). Teachers and students can use this tool to present information to a group in a fun and interactive way. Teachers can use this tool to get information to a whole class without printing off worksheets. Students can use this tool to organize their research and present it in a fun way to their peers.
Relative Advantage
Presentation software helps organize the presenters’ thoughts. When a teacher or student creates a presentation it is grouped into chunks and usually helps guide what the presenter is going to say and when they are going to say it (Roblyer, 2016). Using graphics, video and sound a presentation can be much more interactive using this type of software. Using a software tool like Google Slides or Prezi students can collaborate and edit the presentation at home. Allowing students to be creative and put their own spin on their work increases the engagement. Students want to create when it’s their ideas!


Comat, H. (2011, September 19). Word Processing Skills in the Classroom. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.technokids.com/blog/technology-skills/word-processing-skills-classroom/.

Roblyer, M. (2016). Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching (Seventh ed.). Pearson. 

Why Teach with Spreadsheets? (Pedagogy in Action). http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/library/spreadsheets/why.html


4 comments:

  1. Courtney~
    Excellent post, easy to read, great format. I like how you give a brief description of each type and then the relative advantage of each type. I checked out your links. The SERC from Carleton College is full of resources. They actually have some excellent links for science that I have used in the past under the "activities" tab.http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/index.html .
    Thanks for sharing the link, it gave me the chance to look through it as it has been a while since I last looked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney - Great post on basic suite. I really like your organization. Even though I use Google Slides a lot at school, I have found that students really enjoy Prezi. I see it popping up more and more in discussions in my online classes. I really like the unique format and I think students find the type of movement that a Prezi has a little more exciting than the flipping of slides. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had many PD classes that use Prezi. I haven't dipped my toes in yet! Do you think it's easy for young (3rd grade) students to use?

      Delete