Instructional software is a valuable tool when it comes to
third grade math. Personally, I like to use these tools during my small group
time so I am able to sit down and work with students one on one, while the
other students are busy. I like that they aren’t just doing busy work, but
learning and practicing in an engaging way.
Drill and Practice
Drill and practice is a quick and
effective way to provide math fact practice. The function of the drill is not
instruction, but practice after instruction (Roblyer, 2016). Since there are a variety of ways to present
drill and practice software, the pros and cons must be weighed for the
individual student’s needs.
As stated by Gagné and Bloom, “drill
and practice help students develop automaticity” with more basic facts. These
skills are essential as students move forward, and the math becomes more
challenging. This type of software usually provides working students with
immediate feedback whether the problem is correct or incorrect. Students seem
to enjoy this type of drill practice solely because it isn’t with paper and
pencil. As a teacher, the elimination of grading papers is a huge benefit. I
can log into the program and see within seconds how a student is progressing.
Many programs will also have the option of printing a report that teachers can
analyze as well as parents. As with any type of practice tool, there comes
limitation. Using the software for the intention of teaching rather than
practice can leave the student very confused and shut down. As we all know
every child learns differently, and assuming this type of practice works for
all students isn’t reasonable. Some students may still be in the stage of using
manipulatives to solve basic math problems. We must be aware of what our students
need to continue to grow.
As I began my search for software
that my students would use in third grade I was pleasantly surprised to find a
wide array that I hadn’t used before.
·
www.xtramath.org-
This selection is timed but the teacher is able to set students individually
with what operation they are working on, plus the amount of time given to
produce an answer. I have used it in small groups, and students work through
drill and practice for about 7 to 8 minutes, then the program says goodbye. For
my students that find math a frustrating challenge, this is nice to get them on
for a few minutes of practice and then have a break. It’s just enough!
·
Quick
Math-Arithmetic & Time Tables -Students are given drill practice
questions and produce answers by just writing the answer somewhere on the
screen. The program then deciphers it and records their response (Monica Burns,
2014).
·
Math
Flash Cards*- A fun app kids can play on a tablet during small group
centers or free time. It’s very customizable and perfect for third graders
practicing their multiplication facts (Monica Burns, 2014).
·
Math
vs Zombies - A fun and engaging tool for students liking a challenge, and
zombies! Students are working with all four operations, single and double
digits. The end result of answering questions correctly is to zap zombies back
into humans (Monica Burns, 2014). What kid doesn’t love zombies? I am looking
forward to implementing some of these tools into my classroom next year.
Tutorials
Tutorials are very similar to a
teacher’s instruction to the classroom. Students should be able to learn using
the tutorial without other materials (Roblyer, 2016). I envision tutorials as being a virtual
teacher. Having the two different types of tutorials makes it easier to
navigate individual students towards one and not the other. The linear tutorial
would be great for students who are linear thinkers. I would learn best from
this type of tutorial because its very simple and the sequence is the same no
matter what the purpose is. The downfall to this type is the lack of
constructive feedback it can provide the learner. The branching tutorial guides
learners to branching paths depending on how they respond to questions (Roblyer,
2016). As a teacher I like this method more for my students because I can track
their progress and many times students don’t see their paths as being lower or
inferior. It’s just what their tutorial looks like at the time.
Analyzing the pros and cons to
tutorials is important. Teachers want a solid amount of instruction included in
the tutorial but not so much that the student is bored and disengaged.
Tutorials are a useful tool when the teacher selects the right fit tutorial for
the right student. Giving a low reader, a complicated tutorial would be a
recipe for disaster. But challenging a high reader to use this type of tool not
only improves their math computation but also strengthens their reading
ability.
Finding a tutorial that would work
in an elementary classroom was challenging. Kidspiration is geared for K-5
and has very little text for younger grades. The pictures are colorful and
large. This would work in a classroom like mine where math skills are varied
throughout. However, if a majority of the students were on grade level and a
school purchased this software I would be concerned it would burn out fast with
the students. This tool also allows for conceptual thinking and not just drill
practice. With the CCSS, it’s critical for students to have that type of
thinking.
Simulations
Simulations create real life
examples of how a system works. There are two different types of simulations-
ones that teach about something and ones that teach how to do something (Roblyer,
2016).
Simulations that teach are
categorized into physical simulations and iterative simulations. Physical
simulations allow students to manipulate things and see the results. Many times
these simulations are three-dimensional. Iterative simulations speed up or slow
down the process of something so individual events cannot be seen. It is
described as “iterative” because students can run it over and over again
(Roblyer, 2016).
Simulations that teach how to do
something are also categorized into procedural simulations and situational
simulations. Procedural simulations teach sequence of steps to perform
procedures. Many times students will use this type of simulation to identify
sources of problems. Situational simulations allow students to work through
problems and to create their own solution. Some may lead students through ideal
situations; others may pose a greater challenge for the user (Roblyer, 2016).
Simulations are a great tool to
conduct science experiments with your classroom and know they are safe. Many
schools have a hard time constantly refilling experimenting tools and having a
safe, sanitary place to conduct experiments. These software tools also make it
possible for students to access resources they may never have access to in the
real world. A dangerous limitation in the use of simulations is the inaccurate
perspective in the system. Roblyer gives the example of students feeling they
will know how to drive because they have experienced a driving simulation.
Students have to understand the difference between the simulations versus real
world situations.
Simulations are very science,
health and social studies centered so I did have a hard time finding specific
simulations for third grade math. During
my research I did notice that many simulation games are available for adults.
·
Cool Math- Always a
kid’s favorite. There is a plethora of games on Cool Math but searching
simulations will provide you with specific options.
Instructional Games
Instructional
games are software products that have game-like rules and competition (Roblyer,
2016). Instructional games may also be called computer games, video games, and
educational software. Instructional games are usually used as a reward in the
classroom however it can also be a great teaching tool.
In order for instructional games to
be a positive teaching tool they must include elements of adventure,
competition and reward. Teachers must also make sure that students are
challenged but not frustrated, and the content is appropriate for students.
Limitations on games could include getting lost in the fun and not learning or
retaining the educational purpose. Some games have rules that don’t correlate
with real life rules. Students must be able to differentiate between the two.
Teachers must evaluate the purpose of the game and pinpoint the educational
value. Students may love the game, but without the content being apparent and
engaging they will get lost in the game.
This type of software was the
easiest one to find relating to third grade math.
·
Hooda Math- has a
ton of math games with a variety of topics and operations. It also has games
relating to time, measurements and fractions.
Problem -Solving
Software
Problem
solving software focuses on the approach to problem solving and solving various
kinds of content themed problems (Roblyer, 2016). Content- area problem software
focused on specific content mostly in math and science. Content- free problem
software lets students use different strategies in all content areas. This can
be helpful for students to use in all subjects in school.
Problem
solving software helps students visualize solutions instead of just spitting
out an equation. This is very useful with my students and the CCSS where they
are asked to describe concepts and rationalize their answers. This software is
also motivating to students when they can use their problem solving skills in
all areas of life. When they can see the relationship between their learning
and real life the light bulb goes off. A limitation that teachers must be aware
of is the vocabulary used by software companies and how true they are to form.
Some students may not see the correlation to problem solving skills and using
them in all part of their life. If they are working on a math skill using a
strategy, some students may think that strategy is used solely for math and
miss the connection.
The most
effective and efficient types of problem solving software that I have found
came from my research in our textbook and my own classroom.
·
Math
Explorer- Playing Fantastic Four was one of my favorite games on this
website. It would be great for my higher math kids that need an extra
challenge. I do think it would be frustrating for the students who struggle
with math already.
·
Dreambox-
This is great software that I used this past year in my classroom. The students were motivated and liked that it
was challenging but there was always a reward at the end. I enrolled my own
stepdaughters while using it so I could monitor and play on my own. I would
highly recommend this program!
Relative Advantage
Instructional
software is an important tool in every classroom. I couldn’t imagine how boring
a classroom would be without some type of educational software. It has given me
as a teacher an advantage to making small groups busy and engaged at all times.
Drill and practice makes it possible for all levels of students to practice
their basic math facts. Tutorials are available to reteach a concept for a
student who may have been absent or needs extra explanation. I could see using
this type of software with students who leave for an extended amount of time.
Simulations give students a chance to learn through trial and error. I don’t
think I would use simulations as much as the other educational software, but it
serves a purpose at the right time. Instructional games are most likely a
student’s favorite educational software. What kid doesn’t love playing
competitive games while practicing math? Well, maybe the teacher in me loves the
second part. Students at any level can enjoy instructional games. And last but
not least, problem-solving software is a great addition with CCSS becoming more
prominent. Students are expected to understand concepts and not just answers.
This software is so helpful in making that type of learning fun.
I fear that
teachers will gravitate towards not implementing educational software because
it’s too fun. We forget that students need to be happy to truly learn. When we
are bored and disengaged our brain could care less what we are reading or doing
on a paper. It’s critical that our students enjoy how they learn!
Burns, M. (2014, March 6). 10 Apps for Math
Fluency. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
Roblyer, M. (2016). Integrating
Educational Technology into Teaching (Seventh ed.). Pearson.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCourtney~
ReplyDeleteNice Job covering all the requirements of the assignment: overview of software types, examples for your classroom, and relative advantage. I think that in elementary school use of the software is so important, the students get wrapped up in the activity and don't realize that they are learning! After checking out some of your links, I wish my own children were younger (not really!) to explore some of the math sites that you found! Nicely done!
Caroline
Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying a couple of new ones this coming year!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCourtney, you listed some great websites as examples. I have heard of some of them, but there were a few that were new to me. I'm excited to use them this fall! Math Explorer looks awesome. It can be a challenge to find quality websites that work on higher order skills like critical thinking for K-5 students. Thanks for sharing this resource. Great post!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the compliment! I came across some fun ones, I'm looking forward to using them. Maybe we can converse later this year and compare/contrast our ideas!
DeleteI think you have a good point about the risks involved with simulations. I wonder if it might especially be true for third graders. They are probably still functioning from a concrete operational mindset and have not developed their abstract thinking. This might put them at a greater risk of misconstruing what is happening in a simulation.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment! I think simulations would be on a student to student basis. I would definitely need to know that the individual student understood the "pretend" of the simulation.
Delete