Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Final Reflection

Part 1
In EDTECH541 I have learned a variety of ways to integrate technology into an elementary classroom. I learned to get out of my comfort zone with using different tools to create activities for my classroom. I also learned the importance of peer collaboration and how people can bring about new ideas or ways of thinking to the same type of activity.
            I really liked researching the different types of tools we were given access to this semester. It has broadened my list of tools and given me a chance to play with tools I never would have known existed. It was important to me to find research relevant when creating my projects and assignments because I am new to the technology world. I wanted to ensure my students would have the best ideas based on research not just what I wanted to put together.
             While creating my relative advantage chart and assistive/adaptive activity, I felt like I had mastered AECT Standard 1 Content Knowledge Assessing/Evaluating. I was able to decide what type of adaptive technology I could use for certain disabilities and which ones I didn’t feel were as useful. In doing my research for the relative advantage of using technology in class and what specifically I would be targeting, helped me evaluate the effectiveness of what I’ve been using already and find new tools to use. In creating my interactive presentation of multiplication, I feel that I mastered the AECT Standard 2 Content Pedagogy Creating. I was able to create a presentation that my third graders would be engaged in participating and provide a fun way of learning multiplication.  When writing blog posts on my learning log, I was able to master AECT Standard 5 Research Method. I conducted research to support my opinion along with solve problems while I was creating activities.
            While taking this course I feel like I have grown tremendously professionally and can’t wait to use what I have learned. I was able to create various projects that I never thought was possible. I began my commitment to obtaining my Masters degree and worked very hard on every assignment. I was able to provide constructive criticism to peers during evaluation. And accept suggestions from peers regarding projects or blog posts. I feel this course has opened up my eyes to working independently but asking for help when necessary.
            When I return to my classroom this coming fall, I plan to use some tools that I had access to during this course. I would like to actively start using Google slides for presentations I give my students. I also plan on teaching my students how to use VoiceThread and let them create their own VT during the year. I want to take a step back and let my students explore technology under the safety of my digital citizenship rules. I hope to use social media more professionally as well as open up a dialogue with my students about using social media for learning.
            As an educator I will have more of an open mind about technology integration. Before this course, I wanted to use technology for students to be busy while working independently. It became a crutch for me because I knew the students would be engaged if they were using technology. I want to use technology more for learning and discovering than just keeping students busy.

Part 2
Contributing to my learning log was usually my first order of business with schoolwork during the week. I wanted to have my post done early so that I could receive commentary from peers all throughout the week. I also feel that I put forth a strong amount of effort in providing posts complete with my thoughts on the subject, while also having a substantial amount of research involved as well. I was sensitive to using various types of research and it turn it made it difficult at times to correctly cite my sources. Many websites would have missing pieces and when putting together my citation some parts were incomplete. And lastly, I felt it was very important to give my peers substantial and useful responses to their posts. At times I found it hard to comment on posts that were issued later in the week but usually commented on as many as I could. I also tried to respond to peers commenting on my own blog posts. Below I have listed what I feel my final grade for blogging should be.

Content: 70/70
Readings and Resources: 15/20 (some of my citations were incorrect/incomplete)
Timeliness: 20/20
Responses to Other Students: 30/30
Blog Final: 135/140


1 comment:

  1. Courtney, its seems that your've learned a tremendous amount this semester. I think as we continue through the program our knowledge base will continue to grow. I hope that as we continue through the program citing will become easier as well.

    ReplyDelete